Jigsaw is delighted to offer an exciting opportunity for a Mid-weight Designer to join our Interior Architecture team in our busy Poole Studio. Successful applicants will have the opportunity to lead on exciting projects from concept through to completion. Jigsaw is truly looking for a designer wishing to grow and progress within a dynamic, design-led, and friendly studio.
Founded in 2005, Jigsaw has enjoyed considerable growth in this emerging industry of interior architecture. We are a close-knit team with a wealth of experience within our design studio located in Poole and remote working designers in London producing schemes for private residential, residential developments and commercial projects.
The responsibilities of the role include:
- Working on residential, both private and development, hospitality, and commercial projects from concept to site completion.
- Leading projects under Department Manager’s supervision.
- Translating design concepts to reality within a set budget.
- Understanding project timescales and how to keep them.
- Developing and producing concept presentations with 2D/3D visualizations.
- Understanding of project budgets and quotations
- Producing complete CAD technical drawing packages for site purposes.
- Producing comprehensive product and finishes specification documents
- Experience with client and supplier direct liaison.
- Overseeing site meetings with clients, contractors, manufacturers, suppliers and consultants
- Coordinating with external specialist consultants e.g. PM, QS, M&E to integrate requirements and meet overall project objectives.
- Undertaking site inspections and surveys.
- Assisting the Department Manager and other designers when required.
The required individual should meet the following criteria:
- Interior design/interior architecture degree essential
- Minimum three years professional experience within the industry.
- Previous experience in Developments, Commercial and/or Hospitality design will be considered advantageous.
- Strong design and communication skills.
- Show creative flair, a conceptual approach to design with willingness to think outside the box.
- Excellent all round technical knowledge and attention to detail in every aspect.
- Enthusiasm and the ability to show initiative.
- Ability to work well in a team and assist the team leader.
- Capability to collaborate, to innovate and to learn.
- Team player attitude with excellent English verbal and written communication skills for both internal and client related matters
- Competent administration and organisational skills.
- Keeping up to date with industry news and the changing marketplace; bringing this knowledge into the team and the work to ensure we are always exceeding client’s expectations.
- Understanding of and experience in delivering projects from pitches to drawing packages.
- An understanding of the RIBA plan of work and work stages of the industry.
- An understanding of relevant building regulations.
- Experience in conceptual thinking, presentations and communicating. ideas to clients and rest of the design team with confidence.
- Ability to design to a set budget and good negotiation skills.
- Previous experience working on a technical drawing package (inclusive of Lighting, Small power, Bespoke Joinery items).
- Must be able to develop the design of bespoke elements in more technical detail fit for costing purposes.
- Solid product knowledge overall, ranging from finishes to fittings in general.
- Proven experience in producing specification and schedule documents for above elements.
- Site experience will be considered advantageous.
- To be proficient in AutoCAD.
- To be proficient using InDesign and Photoshop.
- Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint knowledge advantageous.
- 3D modelling and hand sketching abilities also preferable, e.g. SketchUp
- Full UK driving licence would be desirable.
- CSCS card holder is advantageous, if not obtained you will need to take part in training and test once joined the team to be able to attend site visits.
The candidate will shadow the design team manager at first to understand Jigsaw procedures but as a Mid-Weight role, will be expected to take on their own projects. Whilst taking direction from the director and manager, they will be working alone at times and as part of a team at others and therefore expected to have confidence with their own ideas.
They will need to have a strong background, a flair for design and experience working from concept through to completion of drawing packages, on quality projects demonstrated through a beautiful portfolio of work, exhibiting their ability to contribute to the design ethos of the practice.
Although based in Poole, the designer will be required to travel to London and within the UK, to attend required client, site, and supplier meetings; therefore, the candidate will need to be happy to travel. Applicants owning their own car is advantageous, but company cars are available to use for those purposes.
The company is also open to remote working and the candidate does not require necessarily to live near Poole. With this scenario, the candidate will initially be required to attend a month-long training at our Poole studio to be up to speed with internal company standards. Following this, working from home will be acceptable with required attendance to the Poole office one day per month. Further details and logistics will be discussed during a scheduled interview.
This is a full-time position. All candidates should be eligible to work in the UK.
How to apply:
Please submit CVs including references and portfolios using the form below or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, with the reference ‘Mid Weight Interior Architectural Designer‘, and we will get in touch with the successful candidates to arrange interviews. Salary to be negotiated based on level of experience and discussed prior to interview offer. Candidates without portfolios illustrating technical development and final photography of own designs will not be considered.
Thank you and good luck!