Jigsaw is delighted to offer an exciting opportunity for a Junior Designer to join our Interior Architecture team in our busy Poole Studio. Successful applicants will have the chance to assist on exciting projects from concept through to completion. Jigsaw is truly looking for a designer wishing to grow and progress within a dynamic, design-led, and friendly studio.
Founded in 2005, Jigsaw has enjoyed considerable growth in this emerging industry of interior architecture. We are a close-knit team with a wealth of experience within our design studio located in Poole and remote working designers in London producing schemes for private residential, residential developments and commercial projects.
The responsibilities of the role include:
- Working on residential, both private and development, hospitality, and commercial projects from concept to site completion.
- Provide support to Senior and other designers with their schemes.
- To work on own schemes (over time) with support from a Senior member of the team.
- Assist in taking a project from concept to completion.
- Assist in providing Interior Architectural Design services and solutions on the project’s designs.
- Implement relevant building regulations relevant to Jigsaw’s projects.
- Translating design concepts to reality within a set budget.
- Understanding Project timescales and how to keep them.
- To develop and produce concept presentations with 2D/3D visualisations.
- Basic understanding of project budgets and quotations
- Production of full CAD drawings suitable for issue to site – (as a Junior, your drawings will be overseen but you must have basic all-round technical knowledge and overtime have attention to detail in every aspect inclusive of design and drawings packages produced)
- Produce product and finishes specification documents
- To have client and supplier direct liaison.
- Assisting and (in time overseeing) site meetings with clients, contractors, manufacturers, suppliers and consultants
- Coordinating with external specialist consultants e.g. PM, QS, M&E to integrate requirements and meet overall project objectives.
- Undertaking site inspections and surveys.
- Assisting the Department Manager and other designers when required.
The required individual should meet the following criteria:
- Interior design/interior architecture degree essential
- Should have had professional experience with internship, work placements in the industry and then professional experience outside the industry
- Having between 1 to 3 years work experience with Interior Design industry would be ideal
- Previous experience in Developments, Commercial and/or Hospitality design will be considered advantageous
- Willingness to grow within the company long term
- Strong design and communication skills
- Show creative flair, a conceptual approach to design with willingness to think outside the box.
- Basic all round technical knowledge and attention to detail in every aspect
- Enthusiasm, the ability to show initiative with excellent work ethic
- Ability to work well in a team and assist the team leader
- Capability to collaborate, to innovate and to learn
- Team player attitude with excellent English verbal and written communication skills for both internal and client related matters
- Competent administration and organisational skills required.
- Keeping up to date with industry news and latest technological advances within your field.
- Understanding of delivering projects from pitches to drawing packages.
- Understanding of the RIBA plan of work and work stages of the industry.
- Understanding of relevant building regulations and where to research them.
- Basic experience in conceptual thinking, presentations and communicating ideas to clients and rest of the design team with confidence.
- Previous experience assisting on a technical drawing package (inclusive of Lighting, Small power, Bespoke Joinery items) preferable.
- Basic knowledge of design of bespoke elements in more technical detail fit for costing purposes.
- Basic product knowledge overall, ranging from finishes to fittings in general.
- Proven experience in producing specification and schedule documents for above elements.
- Good level in AutoCAD required.
- Good level using InDesign and Photoshop required.
- Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint knowledge advantageous.
- 3D modelling and hand sketching abilities also preferable, e.g. SketchUp
- Full UK driving licence would be desirable.
- CSCS card holder is advantageous, if not obtained you will need to take part in training and test once joined the team.
The candidate will shadow the Department Manager at first to understand Jigsaw procedures and standard but then as a junior role, will then be expected to gradually take on their own work and then projects. Whilst taking direction from the Director and Manager, they will be working alone at times and as part of a team at others and therefore is expected to having confidence with their own ideas.
Jigsaw is looking for a Junior with strong willingness to progress, eagerness to learn and experience assisting on projects from concept through to completion of drawing packages, on past quality projects demonstrated through a beautiful portfolio of work, exhibiting their ability to contribute to the design ethos of the practice.
Although based in Poole, the designer will be required to travel to London and within the UK, to attend required client, site, and supplier meetings accompanied by the Department Manager or another lead designer; therefore, the candidate will need to be happy to travel. Applicants owning their own car is advantageous, but company cars are available to use for those purposes.
This is a full-time position. All candidates should be eligible to work in the UK.
How to apply:
Please submit CVs including references and portfolios using the email email@example.com with reference of “Junior Interior Architectural Designer” in the subject header, and we will get in touch with the successful candidates to arrange interviews. Salary to be negotiated based on level of experience and discussed prior to interview offer. Candidates without portfolios illustrating technical development and final photography of own designs will not be considered. No agencies.
Thank you and good luck!
Jigsaw Interior Architecture